Sunday, December 2, 2012

2nd Day of Christmas in a Jar - Cupcake Crumble

Cupcake crumble in a Jar

For the 2nd day of Christmas in a jar, we have a cupcake crumble in a jar. This is a fun twist to regular cupcakes in a jar.

You will need:

  • 12 wide mouth pint jars (I used Kerr)
  • 1 box of cake mix (any flavor you choose)
  • Frosting (store bought tube or homemade)
  • Food Coloring (optional)
  • Sprinkles (optional)
  • 2 - 8 inch round cake pans

Instructions

I wanted my cake layers to be vibrant green and red. I used regular white and red velvet cake mixes. I tinted my white cake mix green using food coloring. I keep adding drops until I got a shade I liked. Once baked, it came out even brighter than the plain batter. For the red, you can just color with food coloring instead of using red velvet cake. If you'd like you can just divide up one bowl of batter into two, and color each half. Since I used two different cake mixes, I had double the batter. Instead of making 12 more jars, I just made plain cakes (since each box makes 2 cakes) for my husband - he didn't complain!

Step 1

Bake your cakes per box instructions. {Tint your batter before you pour into the baking pans.} Let cool. I made my icing using the Wilton Buttercream Icing recipe.

Step 2

My green cake had a somewhat olive green outside that wasn't very appealing. I cut a thin layer of cake off the top, sides and bottom, leaving the bright green center. Crumble each cake into chucks.

Step 3

Fill about 1/3 of each jar with one color of cake chunks. Swirl in a layer of frosting. I found it easiest to squirt the icing in one spot while slowing spinning the jar with my other hand. Fill your jars with the second cake color, the same amount as the first color. Top off with a decorative layer of frosting. You might have to play around with how much frosting you'd like for each layer depending on taste and presentation.

Step 4

Decorate with sprinkles for a festive look.

Step 5

Decorate your jars with stickers, ribbons, etc. Since this is a perishable item, give within 3 days. Here is another version I made using only the red velvet cake.

Cupcake crumble in a Jar

Bridget Davet / Davet Designs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...